Cultural Awareness Training For The Workplace
Our Cultural Awareness Training & Sensitivity Course Description
For employers an essential skill in the provision of culturally appropriate services, cultural awareness entails an understanding of how a person’s culture may inform their values, behaviour, beliefs and basic assumptions. Cultural awareness recognises that we are all shaped by our cultural background, which influences how we interpret the world around us, perceive ourselves and relate to other people.
Achieve Cultural Competence In & Out Of The Workplace
Diversity Australia promotes that you don’t need to be an expert in every culture or have all the answers to have cultural competence. Instead, our courses help you and your organisation to explore cultural issues with your staff and customers more sensitively. We offer this cultural education to organisations across Australia.
Cultural Learning Workshops For Everyone
We offer information through our programs about how specific cultural practices will help to increase your cultural knowledge. We help grow this respect by providing an overview of cultural characteristics and identity issues without forgetting it is always important to identify individual needs and preferences and remember that no individual can be reduced to a set of cultural norms.
Understanding Cultural Safety
A Framework For Cultural Awareness Across Sectors
We recognise that within any culture, peoples’ values, behaviour and beliefs can vary enormously. Differences may occur due to time of arrival in Australia, length of settlement, socio-economic background, level of education, rural or urban residence, identification with cultural and religious background, and different life experiences – including the experience of migration.
Why Cultural Competency Matters In Australia
Cultural awareness entails an understanding of the framework and details of the migration process itself. Migration is a key influence on a person’s life, with differing effects due to the different experiences of pre-migration, migration and resettlement. While some migrants undergo a relatively easy transition, most migrants will undergo some, if not many challenges in adjusting to life in a new country.
Some of the many post-migration stressors include: the stress of separation from homeland, family members, friends and support networks; racial discrimination; changes in lifestyle and socio-economic status; culture shock; language barriers; and the ongoing trauma of pre-migration experiences, which may have included war and political instability, physical and psychological abuse, and travelling as a refugee or living in a refugee camp.
Expected Cultural Education Program Outcomes
From Either Our Live-Virtual Course Or In-Person Workshops
- As Australians, be aware of your own cultural influences inside and outside the workplace.
- Cultural Inclusiveness: Be aware of judging other people’s behaviour and beliefs according to the standards of your own Australian culture.
- Cultural safety: Be aware of making assumptions about cultural influences and applying generalisations to individuals.
- Understand that the core cultural behaviour and beliefs of people within each culture can vary considerably.
- Learn how to respond in a respectful and culturally informed way to situations that may arise.
- Understand that the extent to which people adopt practices of their new country and retain those from their cultural background can vary within communities, even within families.
- Cultural Differences: Understand that not all people identify with their cultural or religious background.
- Be more inclusive: Understand that Australian society itself is a fluid culture, undergoing transformations as a result of globalisation, migration and the diaspora influence.
- Increase your cultural learning about different practices and issues by interactive engagement in cultural background information sessions and/or resources and cultural awareness training.
- Understand why you need cultural communication to improve competency in your sector.
To purchase this course, click the Add to Cart button above, or contact us here.